The big deritrade customer survey: the key results in four graphs

Read 2 min

Our customers’ satisfaction is very important to us. That’s why we asked deritrade users what they liked most about deritrade, the issuing platform for structured products, and where they saw the greatest potential for improvement. We have summarized the most important results in four graphs.

At the beginning of the year, we asked over 280 of our customers – investment advisors and asset managers – how satisfied they are with deritrade. The focus was on user-friendliness, product selection, pricing and customer service.

Very high level of user friendliness

A total of 96% of the participants rated deritrade’s user-friendliness as “good” or “very good.” The quality that most customers praised was the platform’s clear design. Some users, however, thought the loading speed needs improvement.

Users are satisfied with the product selection

More than a third of the users (34%) rated the selection of products on deritrade as “very good,” 58% as “good.” That makes a total of 92% who are satisfied with the product selection. 8% of the participants had a neutral opinion. The most praised qualities were the product design’s flexibility and individualization. According to some of the feedback, the selection of currency pairs for dual currency notes (DCM) could be expanded.

Potential for improvement in pricing

Although 70% of the survey participants rated the pricing offered by the various issuers as “very good” or “good,” this area represents the greatest potential for improvement. 26% rate the pricing as “neutral,” 3% as “bad”. In order to remain competitive in terms of prices, deritrade will gradually add more well-known issuers to the platform.

Top-level customer service

“Very good” ratings for the quality of customer service reached a record-breaking level of 51%. A further 40% of participants rated the advising quality as “good.” We are, of course, very happy to see this.

deritrade is the leading platform for structured products in Switzerland. In 2019, new functions will be introduced that will save Relation Managers a lot of time. In addition, we will continue to expand our product range.

The deritrade team would like to take this opportunity to thank all the users who took part in our survey so that we can continue to provide the highest quality issuing platform for structured products.

deritrade is the issuing platform for structured products. Would you like to find out more? Please don’t hesitate to contact us. Our experts are here for you. Telephone: +800 5440 5440 Online: Contact us directly via the contact form below.